Monday, March 2, 2015

Snow and Snowmen and Hills

Good evening, friends!

♫ Do you want to build a snowmaaaan?? Come on let's go out and play, I never see you anymore, come out the door, it's like you've gone awaaaaay ♫ 

That's right. I put a little Frozen in here for you guys. Parents of the obsessed children of the world, please forgive me for triggering your PTSD. Oops, now you all know how weird I am (Psh, who am I kidding? You already knew). But that's okay because seriously everyone, it's looking like we're in for several inches of the white stuff tonight and tomorrow. Woohoo! Snowman building weather for real! It's hard to be mad. It is still winter after all.

I hope you all had wonderful weekends and maybe you even got out for a trail run or two. We had a great few days of skiing and spending time with family despite the fact that this flu-like illness that's been making the rounds in Lander lately finally tackled me to the ground sometime on Saturday. I guess that's how it goes. Nothing like chest congestion and coughing to make running a little more interesting.

Ladies' Morning Run - CANCELLED, at least for me
Speaking of several inches of snow and a lung-inhabiting illness, I'm going to call off the 6 am ladies' run this week. At least for me. But honestly, I usually love running in a good heavy snowstorm - so if you're still feeling up for it, I'd encourage you to get out there without me! Snowy runs are some of my most pleasant ones. Everything is so quiet except for the soft crunch of your feet in the deepening snow and the thick snowfall can make everything so surreal, like you're floating through the dark. So if you're healthy, think about it!

Wednesday Workout
Hills, hills, hills. We're going to be so good at them come springtime. Meet at the high school track at 5:30 and we'll warm-up over to Garner Drive. We're doing 12 x 30 seconds. It's going to be great.

Saturday Trail Run
Let's meet at 9am, Bruce's parking area. We'll do our run up the Loop Road since there may still be a significant amount of fresh snow on the ground for good, proper trail running. By the way, if you have traction gear for your running shoes (micro-spikes, Yaktrax, etc), feel free to bring them! I always forget to mention it and some people have asked whether I think it's a good idea. I have honestly never used them, but I also slide around a lot. If you have the gear to suffer less than I, then absolutely! Bust those babies out!

Upcoming Events - Winter's end is in sight, time to start marking those calendars!
May 23rd - The Moccasin Lake Challenge! This was a great event last year and we're really looking forward to doing it again this year.
May 30th - Run the Red Half Marathon and 20 miler. This event premiered last year, and we hear they've got an even better one up their sleeves this year! Co-hosted by the Wyoming Outdoor Council, NOLS, and other organizations, Run the Red is aimed at getting people out into southwest Wyoming's beautiful Red Desert. Yes please and thank you.

Speaking of upcoming events, what events are you looking at for the spring/summer? Keep us posted and let us know if we can help. Do you have questions about how far out you should start training? Goal paces? What the best Clif Shot flavor is? (ha! Trick question. It's cherry chocolate, obviously). That's what we're here for and we're more than happy to talk with you about it.

That's all for now. See you folks Wednesday evening!

Enjoy the snow!

Amber and Evan




No comments:

Post a Comment